Below are some common questions about Topsfield's water treatment processes and the water treatment plant project. Please call the Water Department if you have any additional questions or would like more information.
1. How is our water currently treated?
Topsfield's water receives the following treatment before entering the distriubtion system:
- Disinfection - Sodium Hypochlorite is added to disinfect the water.
- Fluoridation - Sodium Fluoride is added to prevent tooth decay.
- pH Adjustment - Potassium Hydroxide is added to reduce Lead and Copper corrosion rates.
- Sequestration - An ortho/poly-phosphate blend is added to the water to delay the creation of nuiscnace manganese particles.
These treatment processes are done through 'inline' treatment. The chemicals are added to the water by a positive displacement pump as the water leaves the source water facility. Some reactions take place quickly such as pH adjustment and fluoridation but others such as disinfection take some time to run to completion. Inline treatment does not remove any constituents from the water, we are only able to add things to the water.