The Topsfield Water Department has instituted a Voluntary Outdoor Water Restriction effective June 25, 2021. Water customers are asked to curtail any unnecessary outdoor water use between 9 AM and 5 PM each day when evaporation rates are the highest. Necessary water use includes those needed for public safety, required by permit or to meet a core business function.
The restriction is being implemented due to concerns about declining stream flows, the availability of water as the summer progresses, higher than normal system demand, and keeping water withdrawals within mandated limits. A mandatory restriction will likely be needed in a few weeks depending on weather.
In addition to limiting outdoor use the Water Department encourages the following conservation measures:
• Run your dishwasher and clothes washer only when full.
• Fix any leaks around the house.
• Install water efficient toilets, faucets and showerheads.
• Keep a pitcher of water in the refrigerator, rather than running the faucet.
• Consider replacing water intensive lawns with low water demand plants and grasses. The Water Department has several guide books that are available to residents.
Please call the Water Department at (978) 887-1517 if you have any questions.